Tuesday, September 13, 2011

"The Spirit to Serve"

I was impressed by several things in Brother Cox's lecture. I really appreciated his sentiments on the reasons and motives to serve. It's always important to put in check your motivation. I know that I personally can do a better job of being a "humble servant". In Doctrine and Covenants, Joseph Smith teaches us that he is our "humble servant and never deviating friend". The prophets have been a great example of service and leadership not only in the church but abroad. I love how service-oriented the church and the gospel is; which allows me to draw conclusions that because Christ, as the perfect leader, set up his gospel based on the principles of serving your fellow man to serve God, it makes the whole idea of service not a self-improvement program, but rather a sacred task.
At FOL I was ambitious of projects and other activities I wanted to become involved in, however I was very intimidated by the time-committment and the responsibility that would come with it. One of the speakers comforted me by mentioning that if you make time to get involved you will be blessed and you will do better in your schoolwork. After that I couldn't make any more excuses because if my aspirations don't involve service, I know I will be upset with myself and it would just be a whole lot easier if I got out there and started being a little more selfless!

No comments:

Post a Comment