Tuesday, October 11, 2011

The Good, Bad and the Ugly.

    Sometimes conflict can be good, occasionally it's bad, but a lot of time it just ends up pretty ugly. In discussion we learned ways to prevent it getting bad or ugly. We learn that the outcome is often not because of your situation or other people involved, it's mainly how hard you are willing to work to resolve things. It's important to not place blame on other people in a conflict because then bitter feelings may come with the territory.
    The first step of resolving a conflict is overcoming your fear of the conflict itself. There are a lot of elements into solving a problem. You must consider how important the relationship is, how important the issue, and what all the consequences could be. This past week a girl in my hall has had some kinda sketchy stories, and nothing was really adding up. It was concerning her boyfriend and I just had a weird feeling that something wasn't right. I was nervous to approach her and ask her if she was okay and if she wanted to tell me what was going on but nonetheless I decided that maybe she could really use a friend right now to help her out. I ended up asking really broad questions to feel out the situation and see what kind of a mood she was in so I wouldn't end up offending her. In the end she confided in me that she has been really uncomfortable with this guy she's been dating and she just needed someone to talk out her feelings with. She explained that he's not a member of the church and she just thinks they shouldn't continue to date. I was really happy that she was able to come to that conclusion on her own. Although it was no where near a conflict for either of us I was still really nervous of the consequences of what she would think of me talking to her about it. Thankfully it all turned out and she was able to talk to me and I think we became closer through it. Sometimes it's important to just face what could be for an even better good in the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment