Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Good, Better, Best

After reading Brother Merril's talk it gave me a different kind of confidence on decision-making and the simplicity of the process, and simplicity it provides in a crazy world. Brother Merril encourages people to make just 5 important decisions. Decisions that I thought were especially important are: Decide that I am important, and decide to be married in the temple. The two decisions don't really go together perfectly, but I think that by making these decisions so many other small decisions will be made easier by having two broad standards to align my life with. I know that by making the decision to be married in the temple it will help me live my life in a way that will encourage me to get there. Rather than making temple marriage a goal, by making it a decision, a personal decision, I think it will make it so much easier to make that happen. One thing that we are reminded is that once decisions are made we must persist and re-examine the decision and make it a constant thing in our lives.
Decision-making has a lot to do with time-management and ties in with control. I personally control my time, no one else maps out my day for me and equally I make personal decisions. I can not rely on my friends or family, influences, etc. to make decisions for me that impact me. True, decisions impact people all around my through the way I act, treat people, carry tasks out, but ultimately I am in control of my own decisions and time.  
I thought the decision matrix that we were shown in class was so handy! I definitely plan on using that soon in deciding what classes I need to take for next semester. It makes things set simply and I'm a very visual person so I love to see the outcome or the possibilities of things. That's why I also like to use PRO and CON charts when I am weighing my options. I loved the quote by President Faust saying A choice involves making a conscious decision. To make an intelligent decision we need to evaluate all available facts on both sides of an issue. But that isn’t enough. Making correct decisions involves prayer and inspiration.” – James E. Faust. With that in mind, it's vital that I can align my life in a way that is congruent with being close with the Spirit and our Savior. I am so blessed to have the gospel in my life and to have the gift of the Holy Ghost that can help my and comfort me when I need it, especially in times of discernment.

No comments:

Post a Comment